Wednesday, September 14, 2016

TWO ROADS

Thinking about how as Robert Frost puts it, “Two roads diverged.” I went on to think about how life is like those two roads only instead of diverging in a “yellow wood,” they diverge at the Cross of Jesus Christ. The word illustrates this for us with the story of the two thieves that hung on either side of Jesus. Mat 27:38 Then were there two thieves crucified with him, one on the right hand, and another on the left. Their story is told in Luke 23: 39-43. I began to think about how the one thief took the high road, the less traveled road and acknowledged Jesus, saying this man has done nothing, asking Jesus to remember him. He chose life over death and Jesus told him that he would see Him that day. The other took the more traveled road, mocking and insulting, choosing death over life. I think about how we all travel this road of life and how we all come to the age of accountability which is where the two roads diverge. We either choose the less traveled road, the one that leads to life, eternal life with Christ; or we choose the well-traveled road that leads to destruction and certain eternal death. The Word of God tells us that Mat 7:13-14 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in there at: (14) Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. I find myself people watching and I stop to listen and wonder at the choices people make to travel the road they are on. What brings a person to the end of life of the path to destruction, seemingly unconcerned that there will be a day of reckoning? What brings a young child to the place that they thumb their nose at the teaching of the straight and narrow way, of a God that loves them, of anything Holy, and they get on the path to destruction, bent on staying there? Lately I have observed both. The younger and the older and those in between making decisions that keep them on the wide path to destruction; living today as if this is all that life holds. IT MAKES MY HEART HURT. Contrary to popular teaching, everyone that goes by the way of the grave will not spend eternity in heaven just because they died. The Word is clear that you choose your eternal destination by what you do with Jesus. “Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” He tells us in Hebrews 9:27-28 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: (28) So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation. Christ is standing at the cross, at the point that the two roads diverge beckoning come, take my yoke, follow me, take the straight and narrow path and find your eternal rest. The Word tells us in 2Co 6:17-18 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, (18) And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty. He also tells us that we can’t straddle the fence, he tells us that we have to choose. Rev 3:15-16 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. (16) So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. (spue meaning to VOMIT) We sicken God when we don’t choose. Joshua says it like this, Jos 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD. Elijah asked in 1 Kings 18: how long will ye halt between two opinions. Back to Robert Frost’s musings, “Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. I want to encourage you to think about more than today, to think about your eternity. Which road do you choose? I choose Christ.

No comments: