Wednesday, March 22, 2017

THIS LITTLE LIGHT


Grrr... I found myself uttering in frustration. I like a room completely dark in order to sleep. Last night was one of those that insomnia threatens and every little beacon of light seemed to glow brighter and brighter increasing my frustration with not sleeping and increased my focus on why there were so many lights in a room.
As I tossed and turned and covered my head and turned over the clock to face the table and turned over the remote that every button is lit up on to subdue them, the scripture began to run through my mind Mat 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Even though I turned the clock face down, there was still light glowing around the edges. Even though I turned the remote upside down...yep, there was light glowing around the edges. I began to think about the tiny less than 1/8 inch battery indicator on the laptop that was glowing green. It isn’t very large, but it is lighting the room. How about the little red dot on Garrett’s DVD play that indicates off? Yep was lighting the room. I began to think about how little light it takes to invade darkness. Jesus said, “Ye are the light of the world, a city that is set on a hill.” I think there were 5 or 6 things glowing in the dark last night which lit the whole room. I began to wonder what if, God’s children would allow the light inside of them to glow in a darkened world? See it didn’t take much light to shatter the darkness in my room. I found myself thinking that we might want to be accepted or liked or favored so we have a tendency to do what Jesus went on to say: Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
We are admonished to not put our light face down on the table to make it easier. OUCH. Sometimes that is a difficult task. I found myself thinking if I am ever going to get any sleep then I need to get up and unplug everything. This led me to thinking light needs a power source. I asked myself, “Am I fully plugged into my power source? Do I allow the light of Christ to shine through me? Do I put my light under a bushel? (or face down on a table) Do I unplug from the outlet to make life easier?” God forbid that I could answer yes to any of those but I fear at times maybe I don’t like the answer I might give.

So my reflection for insomnia and the battle of the lights is to challenge God’s people to be what He called us to be, “The light of the World. A city set on a hill” (Yes one little light looked like a whole city lit up in the dark!) To not cover the light inside of us so that He might be high and lifted up! 

No comments: