Friday, June 16, 2017

WATCH YOUR STEP...


Was sitting at the river today to let Garrett play and observed a man who headed upstream to fish. His little grandson, who didn't look to be much older than two, took off after him. The man was not aware the boy had followed, and for a little while, the boy was in sync with the man's stride. At times the little one had to step quicker or take more steps the man had his face forward intent on where he was headed and the little boy was intent of following and doing what the man was doing.
I was reminded yet again how much influence the human race Even if we are like this man and unaware that we are being followed. We are an influence in the lives of our children, our younger siblings, people around us. 

I found myself thinking about what kind of influences we are to them. Are we a positive influence, leading them to safety and security, leading to uprightness and productivity? Or could it be that perhaps we are leading into harm, danger and a path to self-destruction. As I reflect back on life (hindsight IS 20/20) I find myself wondering to we even think about what kind of legacy, what kind of influence that we want to be, the destination we are headed to, or do we just fly by and react to what is around us perhaps minute by minute, hour by hour, day by day? I saw the man's attention get drawn to the little boy and he immediately slowed his step and took him by the hand and began to talk to him, and when they arrived at the fishing destination, he took time to show him what he was doing. See this man for this moment knew where he was going and what he was doing.
I have been reminded recently of what a little sponge or perhaps recorder or computer chip a child's mind is. Everything they see. Everything they hear. Every encounter. Every little thing is recorded in that remarkable brain. Then, to process the information they test it out to see how it works for them. I find myself thinking, do we think about what we want them to be? Do we think about what we want them to see? Do we think about what we want them to hear? WE SHOULD.

The Bible tells us in Titus 2: 4 to teach the younger. Fathers to teach your children diligently. Deu 6:7-9 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up. (8) And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes. (9) And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates. To not provoke our children Eph 6:4 And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.


My prayer. My desire for my children and my grandson is that they could say as it was said of Timothy's grandmother, "2Ti 1:5  When I call to remembrance the unfeigned faith that is in thee, which dwelt first in thy grandmother Lois, and thy mother Eunice; and I am persuaded that in thee also."  They could look back and say that we taught them faith, about Christ and His Love and how to be a part of His kingdom.  That they could say they learned Christian values.  That we taught them love and compassion for their fellow man and how to be productive in society and to give more than they get.  

I guess my greatest thought and challenge as I watched another family who had no apparent thought for what they were doing was WE NEED TO THINK.  IF WE DON'T TEACH THE RIGHT THINGS.....well ..... They will learn something right or wrong.  They will follow and they will take it a step farther than you did.  I want to issue a challenge to THINK about what you say, to THINK about what you do, to THINK about where you are leading.  I always told my kids GIGO…. Garbage in, garbage out.

I think the greatest measure of success; the greatest legacy will be on THAT day in eternity, will be having a family circle that is complete, not broken.  Dying alone does not guarantee entrance into heaven.  You have to have a relationship with Jesus who died so that none should perish.  Who will teach them if we don’t? 

Did we always get it right?  Sorrowfully the answer to that is no.  Did we look at the big picture and keep our eye on the prize at the end?  Some days I would say that we did, other days not so well.  Did we always look where our steps were leading?  Some days I would say that we tried and had a fair measure of success, sadly, other days not as successful.  I have good kids with good values but as all will learn, there are things you wish you could rewind and redo, but life doesn’t offer that button.  Choose wisely.

No comments: